Many industrial engineering firms are moving toward inbound marketing methods and leaving older outdated sales techniques behind. The process of providing customers with valuable and shareable content in order to earn their trust, loyalty and business is the premise behind inbound marketing.
To get started with a successful inbound strategy, it is helpful to understand the basics behind inbound marketing with the inbound trilogy.
I. Philosophy – Why inbound marketing?
A huge appeal behind inbound is the low-cost. But there are many other reasons why this style of marketing is preferable.
- It helps your engineering firm become the expert.
- You become a trusted authority by providing valuable information.
- Creating customer-driven content means the customer’s needs are always being addressed.
- No more cold calling.
- Helps you to be found organically.
- Your website becomes a powerful marketing tool.
II. Methodology – How to use inbound marketing
There are many methods for using inbound marketing that will benefit your engineering firm. Integrating these different methodologies together is the best strategy.
- social media campaigns
- email marketing
- landing pages
III. Tool set – Your play book
Now that you know the how and the why, you need to know what to have in your tool set to help you be successful with your marketing strategy. Here are a few tools you might find helpful at different phases of marketing.
- ATTRACT – The first step in a successful inbound marketing strategy is to attract customers. Do this by:
- Blogging – Provide current, relevant and useful information regularly
- Social Media – Align content to engage your audience
- Key Word Optimization – Understanding your customer’s needs will help you choose keywords consistent across all platforms that will enhance your marketing efforts
2. CONVERT – Once you have attracted your audience, you need to convert them to subscribers. To do this, you need:
- Calls-To-Action (CTA’s) – Provide direct, simple and relevant calls-to-action to lead customers down your sales channel
- Landing Pages – Create landing pages which should fulfill the CTA and help a customer become a subscriber
- Contacts – This is also considered an email list and creates leads in a centralized database for future email marketing campaigns
3. CLOSE – After attracting and converting your potential customers to subscribers, you need to close using the following tools:
- Lead scoring – This is useful in determining which types of leads matter most. It helps target and create high-quality leads which affect conversion rates.
- Email – If a potential customer does not follow through after filling out information, creating a series of emails focused on their interests or needs will lead to conversion by building trust and helping them when they are ready to make a purchase.
- Marketing automation – Creating email marketing that fits the needs of each lead will help you directly address the needs of each customer.
- Close-loop reporting – Integrate with your CRM system to allow you to effectively analyze how well your marketing and sales teams are working together.
This quick snapshot of the inbound trilogy is a good platform to build on and begin working towards using an effective marketing strategy for your engineering firm.
For more information on the inbound trilogy and how to apply it to your business contact us at MediaWorks.